Located in the southern part of the Greek island of Crete, Sfakia is a small town known for its beautiful beaches and stunning coastline. With crystal-clear waters, white sandy beaches, and rugged cliffs, Sfakia is a paradise for beach lovers and adventurers alike. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the beaches and coasts of Sfakia, as well as their prices and other details.
Beaches in Sfakia:
1. Frangokastello Beach: Frangokastello Beach is a long sandy beach with clear blue waters. It is located just west of the Frangokastello Castle, which is an important historical landmark in Sfakia. The beach is relatively quiet and peaceful, making it the perfect spot for a relaxing day in the sun.
2. Loutro Beach: Loutro Beach is a small pebbly beach that is only accessible by boat or on foot. The beach is surrounded by rugged cliffs and crystal-clear waters, making it a popular spot for swimming and snorkeling.
3. Glyka Nera Beach: Glyka Nera Beach is a stunning pebble beach with crystal-clear waters. It is located at the end of a long, narrow gorge, which gives it a secluded and peaceful feel. The beach is popular with snorkelers, as there are many interesting underwater formations to explore.
4. Sweet Water Beach: Sweet Water Beach is a long sandy beach with clear blue waters. It is located near the village of Chora Sfakion and is a popular spot for sunbathing and swimming. There are also several tavernas and cafes nearby, making it a great place to grab a bite to eat or a drink.
Coasts in Sfakia:
1. Imbros Gorge: Imbros Gorge is a narrow and winding canyon that stretches for 8 km. It is a popular hiking trail that offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. The trail is well-marked and relatively easy to navigate, making it a great option for both beginners and experienced hikers.
2. Samaria Gorge: Samaria Gorge is one of the longest and most famous gorges in Europe. It stretches for 18 km and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. The trail can be challenging at times, but the scenery is well worth the effort.
The prices for the beaches and coasts in Sfakia vary depending on the location and the services offered. In general, the prices for sun loungers and umbrellas range from 5-10 euros per day. There are also many tavernas and cafes near the beaches where you can enjoy a meal or a drink for around 10-20 euros per person.
Hiking in the gorges is free, but visitors need to pay an entrance fee of 5 euros to enter the Samaria Gorge National Park. There are also guided tours available for those who want to explore the gorges with a knowledgeable guide.
In conclusion, Sfakia is a beautiful destination with stunning beaches, rugged cliffs, and breathtaking gorges. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing day on the beach or an adventurous hike through the mountains, Sfakia has something to offer for everyone. The prices for the beaches and coasts are reasonable, making it a great budget-friendly destination for travelers. So, if you’re planning a trip to Crete, be sure to add Sfakia to your itinerary and experience the natural beauty and charm of this hidden gem.